Pastor Dave wishes to discuss the covid pandemic and its effect on Door County. The cases are high, and the hospitals are over capacity. We must consider what that means for our church and our activities. The recommendation from the Wisconsin Counsel of Churches was that all churches cease in person Worship and go virtual for at least the next 4 to 6 weeks. Pastor Dave and the team that assists him recording the services decided to continue to record the worship service on Sunday at 10:00 AM and take additional precautions designed to make in person worship safer so that we may continue to gather together.
- One of these precautions is to discontinue Café Joy until at least the 1st of March. It is a great time for fellowship, however the close contact and time shared could pose an additional risk.
- We are also going to discontinue Sunday School for the same period of time. We are looking at presenting an online session for the children. We are hoping to have this available soon.
- During the worship service itself we will open the doors at 9:30. We ask that you please wear a mask until you leave the church. We ask that you use a surgical mask (we have some available) and not a cloth mask. If you have a mask with 95 in the title please use those.
- We will not be sing out during worship. We will continue to have our music and if you wish to sing please sing softly with your masks on. The words will be on the screen.
- Services will between 45 to 60 minutes. Please do not congregate in areas where people need to pass or exit. If you wish to gather, please go to the fellowship hall so that people can exit safely.
- We can sit 300 people in our sanctuary. It will be very easy to space yourself out from other people and families. You may also go into the fellowship hall or lounge were we have closed circuit TV.
All of this is dependent on virus activity. As mentioned previously we hope to go back to Café Joy and Sunday School by March 1st. If the virus becomes worse in our community then we will have to look at going completely virtual. We are hoping that will not happen. Back in March of 2020 we decided to close the church completely and moved to virtual worship. It was a terrifying thing, and we did not know where it was going, and it left us uncertain. Once the vaccines became available we felt more comfortable however more people died this past year than they did prior to vaccines. We have learned to make ourselves as safe as possible. Unfortunately, during this time some people remained worshiping virtually and did not return to the church. We know more now how to protect ourselves and only want to close in person worship if absolutely necessary. Church is just as important as schools and businesses remaining open.
If you are not feeling well or concerned about attending in person, remember you may worship online as follows:
ONLINE SERVICE TIMES
Service Recordings Are Available Sunday Late Afternoon
- Church Website https://www.sturgeonbayumc.org/
- YouTube – Search David Leistra
Service Recordings will be delayed One Week for the Following:
- WDOR Radio 93.9 FM or 910 AM 9:30 AM Sunday Mornings
- Public Access TV on Channel 989 Wednesdays at 8 and 5 PM and again on Sundays at noon and 3 PM
Submitted by Lorna Magliaro, Adm. Assistant